Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thursday, April 11, 2013 Dash...


My amazing friend Stephanie did the reading of the below poem at her father's funeral and did a great job. I have heard this poem way back when but it never really meant the same thing as it does today. Events in our lives change us, change the way we think, the way we feel, the way we hurt and the way we love. We have little control over the dates on our gravestones, but we do have a choice on how we live the dash between those dates. I know that I will continue to make my dash mean something and live everyday of it to the fullest. That's all we can do in this world, we all have struggles, fears, pain and loss. There are so many things that happen in this world that we will never understand but we all have a choice to continue to live and trust in God. I will never understand why things happen but it's not my place to understand, it is my place to trust in God and live my life till I can have those questions answered one day. These days I face each day with a smile and encouraged that no matter what happens that I have this and God has me. So do something today to make a good impact on your dash and in turn it might just affect someone else's dash in the process. So tell the important people in your life that you love them, hug them a little longer and let them know how important they are in your life.

The Dash
by Linda Ellis copyright 1996

I read of a man who stood to speak
at the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone,
from the beginning…to the end.
He noted that first came the date of her birth
and spoke of the following date with tears,
but he said what mattered most of all was the dash between those years.
For that dash represents all the time
that she spent alive on earth.
And now only those who loved her
know what that little line is worth.
For it matters not, how much we own,
the cars…the house…the cash.
What matters is how we live and love
and how we spend our dash.
So, think about this long and hard.
Are there things you’d like to change?
For you never know how much time is left
that can still be rearranged.
If we could just slow down enough
to consider what’s true and real and always try to understand
the way other people feel.
And be less quick to anger
and show appreciation more
and love the people in our lives
like we’ve never loved before. 
If we treat each other with respect and more often wear a smile,
remembering that this special dash might only last a little while.
So, when your eulogy is being read,
with your life’s actions to rehash…
would you be proud of the things they say
about how you spent YOUR dash?

No comments:

Post a Comment